Mobile devices are more and more prevalent as each day passes. These tools–smartphones, tablets, etc.–help to make our lives easier in many ways, regardless of our daily challenges. For individuals with disabilities, mobile devices bring a new category of assistive technology through mobile applications. From something as simple as a screen-reader, to something as complex as TapTapSee–an app that lets you take a picture of an object and tells you what it is–there are a growing number of mobile applications to fit a variety of needs. Below are mobile applications that we hope you will find useful in your life. In addition to the applications listed here, you can also consult the Tools for Life database of mobile applications.
TapTapSee is designed to help the blind and visually impaired identify objects they encounter in their daily lives.
Simply double tap the screen to take a photo of anything, at any angle, and hear the app speak the identification back to you (Note: Spoken identification requires Talkback to be turned on).
TapTapSee helps the blind and visually impaired become more independent in their day-to-day activities.
* Flash toggle
* Auto-focus notification
* Identify images from your Camera Roll
* Repeat last image identification
* Share identification via text, email, or social media
These apps (different for each store) help you turn your device into a magnifying glass! Both apps linked here are free. For individuals with vision impairments, these apps are great when you need to read text or see something small but do not have a traditional magnifying glass with you.
BlindSquare makes you sense what’s around you. The only thing you need to do is listen.
BlindSquare is a new solution that combines the latest technology to help the blind with their daily lives. It has been developed in collaboration with blind people and carefully field tested. You need either an iPhone or an iPad to get started. It also supports some additional accessories to enhance the experience.
How does it work?
BlindSquare uses GPS and the compass to locate you. It then gathers information about the surrounding environment from FourSquare. BlindSquare has some unique algorithms to decide what information is the most relevant and then speaks it to you with high quality speech synthesis.
“What’s the most popular café within 200 meters radius? Where is the post office or the library?”
Using BlindSquare as a GPS solution:
When you start the app, it will start telling you the interesting places and street crossings around you. By changing the radius, you can limit the area you are interested in. You can also search by search term or by category. You can select an interesting place from the search results and perform the following tasks:
1) Get contact info (address, phone number)
2) Open twitter feed or restaurant menu (if provided)
3) Make a phone call
4) Start tracking the place (BlindSquare will assist you by repeating the distance and the clock face direction)
5) Start your favourite navigator for turn-by-turn instructions (TomTom, Navigon or Apple Maps)
BlindSquare is aware of when you travel by car, bus or train and starts to report interesting places in front of you (for example, the next stops) and street crossings when you are passing them.
*This app is only available on Apple devices. This app is NOT free. For pricing, please refer to the Apple store.
Floyd County Emergency Management
The Floyd County, Georgia, Emergency Management app contains advanced features that strive to help keep the citizens of Floyd County prepared and informed about any emergency at hand. Code Red Enrollment, Emergency Shelter information, and Preparedness Kit all provide info prior to emergencies while features such as NOAA Radio, Weather Radar, and Alerts provide up to the second information. Contact Information allows for further communication after the fact.
Thousands of public safety organizations across the United States and Canada that use the CodeRED community notification system initiate notifications to CodeRED Mobile Alert app subscribers to provide them information that saves lives. Alerts are initiated by public safety officials authorized to deliver notifications and not through Emergency Communications Network or its staff.
Free alerts available*
*PLEASE NOTE: If the public safety agency covering your current location is not subscribed to the CodeRED service, you will not receive alerts through this application. If your city or state does not currently subscribe to CodeRED, contact your local public safety organization today to let them know your community would benefit from this service.
• Enable location services on your phone.
• Your app account and the account you created with your community’s CodeRED system are not associated with each other. You must create separate accounts.
• The CodeRED Mobile Alert app comes with a complimentary 30-day trial of CodeRED Weather Warning™ that automatically alerts US-based subscribers of severe weather. The CodeRED Weather Warning add-on is an additional $4.99/year but is not required to purchase to continue to receive emergency, general and missing person alerts.
Concussion Coach was designed for Veterans, Service members, and other individuals who experience physical, cognitive, and emotional symptoms that may be related to mild to moderate traumatic brain injury. This app provides users with information about concussion, a self-assessment instrument for symptoms and their severity, tools to help users build resilience and manage symptoms, and recommendations for community-based resources and support. Users can customize tools based on their references and can integrate their own contacts, photos, and music. This app can be used by itself, but it may be more effective in combination with treatment by a healthcare professional. Concussion Coach was created by VA’s Rehabilitation and Prosthetic Services, the National Center for PTSD and DoD’s National Center for Telehealth & Technology.
*This app is only available on Apple devices. Google Play Store has several versions of concussion assistance apps.
QR Code Reader
QR Code Reader is the fastest and most user-friendly QR code scanner available. If your device came with a built-in scanner, this would be it. Here is what our reviewers are saying:
HOW THE APP WORKS
To scan a QR code simply open the app, point the camera at the code, and you’re done! There is no need to take a photo or press a button. QR Code Reader will automatically recognize any QR code your camera is pointing at.
When scanning a QR code, if the code contains a website URL, you will automatically be taken to the site. If the code just contains text, you’ll immediately see it. For other formats such as phone numbers, email addresses, or contact info, you will be prompted to take the appropriate action.
• View a history list of all of your past scans
• Sync your scan history across the web and all of your devices
• Scan pictures of QR codes from your camera roll
• A switch to turn on your device’s light (if it has one) for scanning in low-light circumstances
First Aid (by American Red Cross)
Accidents happen. The official American Red Cross First Aid app puts expert advice for everyday emergencies in your hand. Get the app and be prepared for what life brings. With videos, interactive quizzes and simple step-by-step advice it’s never been easier to know first aid.
Ahora disponible en español.
• Easy to use Spanish language toggle to switch translation directly inside the app.
• Simple step-by-step instructions guide you through everyday first aid scenarios.
• Fully integrated with 9-1-1 so you can call EMS from the app at any time.
• Videos and animations make learning first aid fun and easy.
• Safety tips for everything, from severe winter weather to hurricanes, earthquakes and tornadoes help you prepare for emergencies.
• Preloaded content means you have instant access to all safety information at anytime, even without reception or an Internet connection.
• Interactive quizzes allow you to earn badges that you can share with your friends and show off your lifesaving knowledge.
LookTel Money Reader instantly recognizes currency and speaks the denomination, enabling people experiencing visual impairments or blindness to quickly and easily identify and count bills. Point the camera of your iOS device at a bill and the application will tell you the denomination in real-time. Twenty one currencies are supported: the US Dollar, Australian Dollar, Bahraini Dinar, Brazilian Real, Belarusian Ruble, British Pound, Canadian Dollar, Euro, Hungarian Forint, Israeli Shekel, Indian Rupee, Japanese Yen, Kuwaiti Dinar, Mexican Peso, New Zealand Dollar, Polish Zloty, Russian Ruble, Saudi Arabian Riyal, Singapore Dollar, and United Arab Emirates Dirham.
Featuring LookTel’s patented and proprietary object recognition technology, the LookTel Money Reader makes it as easy to recognize bills as possible. There’s no need to hold the iOS device still or capture a photo and wait for a result. Recognition happens instantly–in real-time. The app does not require an internet connection, which means it will read money at any location, and at anytime.
*This app is only available on Apple devices. This app is NOT free. For pricing, please refer to the Apple store.
NAGDU Guide & Service Dog Advocacy & Information
The NAGDU Guide & Service Animal Information & Advocacy app provides general information about the state and federal laws that protect the civil rights of disabled individuals who use service dogs. The app contains excerpts from the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and each of the state statutes that protect the rights of those who use service dogs, as well as general guidance concerning access to specific types of establishments, such as hotels, restaurants, health care facilities and more. In addition, this app provides the ability to directly connect with a live advocate who has been specially trained to help you resolve access issues as they occur.
We intend to continue to update this app with improvements and new features, so if you don’t see something you’d like, please let us know.
This app is provided as a public service of the National Association of Guide dog users (NAGDU), a strong & proud division of the National Federation of the Blind (NFB).
*This app is only available on Apple devices.
CPR Tempo provides audio and visual cues to aid the timing of chest compressions during cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). Timers are also provided for rhythm checks after defibrillator shocking and for epinephrine administration.
The American Heart Association recommends a rate of 100 compressions per minute during CPR. This is difficult to maintain without audio cues, especially as the rescuer tires. ER nurse and Army Reservist MAJ Don Kyle shared with Frozen Ape about our metronome app Tempo is being used for this purpose. We have since worked with Don to create a specialised app, including the following bonus features:
– Timer with visual and audio cues for rhythm checks
– Timer with visual and audio cues for Epinephrine administration
– Log of each resuscitation event detailing each action taken and location of event (location services required)
– Configurable CPM (compressions per minute) from 100 to 120
– Configurable epinephrine interval from 3 to 5 minutes
This app will use your device’s camera flash to turn your device into a flashlight! Other light functions are also available.
Never carry plastic or paper loyalty, membership, library cards or coupons
again! With Key Ring you can:
+ Add Your Cards: Loyalty, Gift, Library and Membership cards are all
welcome in Key Ring
+ Join New Programs: Enroll in new loyalty programs and get rewarded
+ Get Offers: Search for nearby offers where you shop
+ (NEW) Weekly Sales: Browse weekly sales right on your phone
+ (NEW) Create Lists: Create shopping lists that you can share with family
Lose weight with MyFitnessPal, the fastest and easiest-to-use calorie counter for iOS. With the largest food database by far (over 5,000,000 foods) and amazingly fast and easy food and exercise entry, we’ll help you take those extra pounds off! And all 100% FREE! There is no better diet app – period.
• 100% FREE – no hidden charges or in-app purchases
• Track your diet and exercise in less than 5 minutes a day! It’s that fast and easy
• Largest food database of any iPhone calorie counter – over 5,000,000 foods and growing daily
• Easiest and fastest food entry – remembers your favorites, add multiple foods at once, save and add entire meals, and more. THERE IS NO FASTER OR EASIER APP THAN MYFITNESSPAL.
• Connect with over 50 devices and apps including Fitbit, Jawbone UP, Garmin, MapMyFitness, Runkeeper, Strava, Runtastic, Misfit, Withings, Healthkit, and more!
• Recipe importer – cook a lot? Our recipe importer lets you visit any recipe on the web and easily import and track it with just a tap! It feels like magic!
• Built-in step tracker – iPhone 5S/6/6+ users can track steps right from their phone, no separate tracker required
• MYFITNESSPAL WORKS – our members have lost almost 200 MILLION POUNDS combined!
A service of the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS), Library of Congress
The BARD Mobile app provides access to braille and talking books directly from the NLS Braille and Audio Reading Download (BARD). BARD contains nearly 50,000 books, magazines, and music scores in audio and braille formats, with new selections added daily.
With BARD Mobile, you can play the audio materials on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch. If your device is connected to a refreshable braille display through Bluetooth, you can also read the braille materials available on BARD.
Before you can use this BARD Mobile app, you must be registered with a braille and talking-book library in the NLS network of cooperating libraries. If you aren’t registered but think you qualify for this service because you cannot read regular print as a result of a visual or physical disability, locate your local library for the blind and physically handicapped at http://www.loc.gov/nls/find.html or call 1-800-NLS-READ to apply for service.
Once you have an account, you are ready to begin using BARD Mobile.
Download the free app and sign in with your BARD user name and password. You’ll only need to do this the first time you use the app. The app contains a user manual that you may access through the Help feature.
Suicide Safe is a suicide prevention learning tool for primary care and behavioral health providers and is based on the nationally recognized Suicide Assessment Five-step Evaluation and Triage (SAFE-T) practice guidelines. Suicide Safe helps providers feel confident to assist patients who present with suicidal ideation. The app offers tips on how to communicate effectively with patients and their families, determine appropriate next steps, and make referrals to treatment and community resources.
• Learn the five steps of the SAFE-T approach in working with patients and easily download resources for use offline.
• Study interactive sample case studies to see the SAFE-T approach in action.
• Browse conversation starters that provide sample language and tips for talking with patients about their suicidal ideation.
• Explore clinical and educational resources and share crisis line phone numbers and other patient-focused materials.
• Use SAMHSA’s Behavioral Health Treatment Services Locator to provide timely referrals for patients. The Locator can be filtered by type and distance.
MediSafe is the leading medication manager. If you need to track medications – this is the app for you! Download MediSafe and start managing your medications and refills now.
MediSafe is the award winning, top rated medication management and drugs reminder app. It will help you take your medicine on time and safely using your mobile device. It will also allow you to help your family members with their pill reminders and medical management.
Whether you are taking one drug dosage or more, you know how difficult it is remembering each pill right on time. If you are a caretaker for a child, parent, or patient suffering from chronic pain or illness, you know how stressful it is not knowing for sure if your loved one took their medication.
MediSafe has the solution. It’s free and simple!
MediSafe will remind you and your family when to take medication and when a refill is due. You can record all your medication dosages, measurements and much more in MediSafe and have a medication report. Your Med-Friend (family member or caretaker) is notified if you don’t check in that you took your medicine, so they can remind you if needed.
- Entries are for informational purposes only.
- Inclusion of an app does not constitute approval, endorsement, recommendation or support by the Northwest Georgia Center for Independent Living.
- Northwest Georgia Center for Independent Living shall not be liable for any claims, liabilities, damages, losses, costs, expenses fines and penalties, arising out of any actual or alleged injury, loss, or damage of any nature whatsoever in connection with the use of any app listed on this site.